Sunday, February 24, 2013

Setting the date

After being together for 4 1/2 years, Connor and I had often talked about getting married.  He knew I didn't want a terribly long engagement partly because I am just ready to marry him and partly because I knew with too much time to plan the wedding, I'd go a bit crazy.

At dinner the night of the proposal, I cautiously brought up the question of when we might want to get married.  I wasn't sure that he'd go along with my moderately short engagement plan so I wanted to be careful...no reason to rock the boat 2 hours into the big night!  Luckily he told me that he assumed it would be this fall sometime, to my relief.  Because I knew the proposal was coming, I happened to take a peek at the Texas A&M Football schedule so see what we might be contending with in Brenham.

For those of you hiding under a rock, in the last year Football at A&M has become a thing.  A REALLY BIG thing.  So much of a big thing that I know many people who attend every game, who tailgate with the best of them, and who would not be pleased to miss a home game in what should be one of the biggest seasons ever.  My hometown of Brenham is about 50 miles from College Station where I attended Texas A&M from 2003-2007.  Because of the MASSIVE influx of visitors for the game, hotels in Brenham often get booked up on game weekends since it is a relatively easy drive.  For those two reasons I knew we had to pick a weekend that did not conflict with a Home game.

This left:
September 28...too soon.
October 12...I'm a bridesmaid in a wedding in San Diego that weekend.
November 2...a home game but its against UTEP...the game most Aggies would possibly give up but alas, its the opening weekend of hunting season and my Dad put a stop to that.
November 23...away vs. LSU, I'd have a watch party instead of a wedding.
Then we are getting close to December and I didn't even want to mess with that.

So that left November 16, 2013.  Its a bye week for Fightin' Texas Aggie Football.  A match made in heaven.

That leaves us with 8 1/2 months, not too short, not too long, I think it will be just right!



Did you have drama trying to save the date for you wedding?  Or did you just have a huddle of groomsmen in the back corner listening to their respective sporting event?

1 comment:

  1. Haha! I love that you had to work around the Aggie's schedule, that cracks me up! ;-) Our only dilemma was that it took 11 months to actually sit down with a calendar and plan something! <3

    ReplyDelete