Monday, February 18, 2013

An OOPS of epic proportions


I really didn't expect it.  He really had me convinced that it would be at least 6-9 months before there would be anything "sparkly" on my finger.  ("Sparkly" being our not-so-secret-but-not-too-scary code name for what we refer to as the big scary GETTING ENGAGED EVENT, obviously.)  And now, in the next 7-9 days, its probably going to happen.  And I know this NOT because I snooped and pried and begged to know if/when/where/now now now/pleeease it would happen.  But because he told me.  On accident.

I know....collective GASP.  Because thats what I did when I ACCIDENTALLY (I swear!) saw the facebook message that he sent out to my besties that he ACCIDENTALLY (he swears!) included me on.  All I saw was one line of a message from Him (which is weird because he's NEVER EVER on facebook):
"SHE DOESN'T KNOW I'M COMING NEXT WEEKEND"
...which was enough to let me know that OMG OMG I SHOULD NOT HAVE SEEN THIS!!!!!!!  And that was that, it was all over.  I'm no dummy.  I threw my phone at my roommates and started crying.  There was no un-seeing what I had seen.  No memory eraser, no turning back.  First thought: I can't let him know that I know.  Second thought: There's no way I CAN'T let him know that I know.  Luckily, that problem was solved for me.

He quickly discovered the mistake on his own, immediately called my roommates (who are also his good friends) to plead for help.  But it was too late.  You see, I live in Ohio, he's in California and as far as I knew we wouldn't be reunited in Cali for another 29 days (but who's counting? Oh, I am.).  And, come on, there's only one reason he would tell all of my friends he's coming for a surprise visit and to keep their mouths shut so this would be a giant surprise.  SPARKLES.

We've been together for 4 1/2 years, since summer of 2008.  We met at college where I was a graduate student and he was an undergrad. After 2 1/2 years we were talking about marriage, though in a very vague "if one day in the very very distant and far away future we were to ever get married/have kids/own a house" kind of way.  Slowly the far aways and very-verys began to drop and we began to speak in real time, "when we get married, I want to drive away in a bat mobile", "our kids are going to be blessed with great athletic skills but cursed with the worst skin ever", "can we have an entire room carpeted to look like a football field?"...you know, the usual.  After our last week together over Christmas, he had me (sort of ) convinced that 2014 would be the big year to get engaged and 2015 would be the year of the wedding.  I figured he was either trying to throw me off the scent or he was actually really serious so I went with the serious route and kept things relatively calm in my head. We also spoke a lot about waiting to get engaged until after we were able to live in the same city for a period of time which I actually thought was a really good idea considering we've been long distance for a year and a half.  I was very proud of myself for being excited for the future but not freaking out every day about when and how it would happen.  I trust my dear boyfriend and I knew that he'd make everything perfect when the time was right.  Moral of the story, we're completely ready for the next step, the trick was (Him) deciding when to take it.

And as I learned tonight, the time is now.  I've been promising myself that I would start writing on this blog when we got engaged to remember this time in our lives and document the excitement.  It only feels appropriate that I start tonight, the night I feel the first bits of electricity that OUR lives are about to change.  I'm choosing to see the misstep as a funny part of our story, something that we'll laugh about for a very long time (though I also promise not to rub it in because the best part of the story is how hard He worked to keep it a surprise!!).  For almost 10 years, my mantra has been that "Life is Perfect in its Imperfections"...and yet again, I'm proven right.

And now, I now have a week to be an emotional, excited, and nervous basket case.  
And, gosh darn it, I'm going to get a manicure...just in case.

1 comment:

  1. Megan,
    It was so nice meeting you on the plane the other day and I hope you made it to San Diego safely! So I've been looking at your different websites and they are absolutely adorable!! I mostly looked at the pictures on this blog first and I'm looking forward to reading all about your wedding. One thing I realized was that I never asked about the proposal! I'm so glad that it's all posted! :)
    Anyway, just wanted to give you a little shout to let you know I stopped by! Good luck with all of you planning!

    Kendall

    ReplyDelete