Wednesday, April 17, 2013

God must think I'm *hilarious*

You've heard the adage...
"If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans"

Well, apparently I'm pretty stinkin' hilarious.  After thinking so for over a month, we found out on Tuesday afternoon that we WON'T be moving to Austin after all.  Instead, Connor will be moving to his current company's headquarters located in Houston.  While we're a little bummed that we won't get to help keep Austin weird (that's their slogan if you didn't know!), there is no doubt that this will be a great move for us.  Rather than work from home as was the plan for Con in Austin, he'll be in a big office getting to meet people, work on different projects, and just be exposed to the company more in general.  He has a lot of respect for the way his company is run and I'm very happy that he'll be continuing his career with them.



Not wanting Connor to have all the fun, I'll be making a pretty big career shift as well.  After over 10 years in the theater, I'm looking to move to a career in event planning (among other things).  I have LOVED my time at the Cincinnati Playhouse in the Park.  I always get comments from people who say, "what a cool job!" and in all truth, it really is.  I get to design and create every day while working with incredible artists on inspiring projects.  My co-workers are just lovely and I'm so proud of the work we do.  At the same time....there are some downsides to my job.  I work with incredibly toxic materials every day.  While I do take many precautions when using dyes, paints, and glues, there is still a level of exposure that cannot be good for my body.  I also miss working at events, something I haven't done since college.  I love the rush of making sure everything is just right, working with people in a high paced environment, and making personal connections with people every day.  I spend a lot of time sitting at my craft table in my own little world (which is nice, don't get me wrong) but I miss being out and about as well.  I think the project management aspect of working in the theater will transition nicely into Event Planning and I'm very much looking forward to where I might land next!

Our move will take place Mid-June and though I'm terribly sad to leave Cincinnati, I'm so thrilled that I'll get to put Texas license plates back on my car and be a card (or rather drivers license) carrying member of the greatest state in the Country!



Have you ever had big plans that took a 360?  Any Houstonians out there who have some advice on what to do/where to live?  Let me know in the comments!



1 comment:

  1. Keep Austin Weird? Did they steal that from Portland or the other way around? Welp, at least you get to be in Texas regardless! :)
    -Malori

    ReplyDelete